In the UK sickness certification is necessary only if you are unable to work for longer than seven calendar days.

An SC2 self-certificate form, for shorter periods of illness, will be provided by your employer.

You can also download this from here.

Please book a non-urgent appointment with your doctor if you have been too ill to work for longer than seven continuous calendar days.


For the first 7 days that you are unable to work through sickness, you can complete a self-certification form. this form can be obtained from your employer.
The Surgery does not issue self-certification forms.

If you are in the hospital, they will provide you with a sick note. They should also include any period necessary after you leave the hospital. If necessary, this can be extended by your GP when you return home.

After the first 7 days, you will need a sick note from your GP. If necessary, this can be backdated to ensure continuity of sickness absence so an immediate appointment is not necessary.

When you know the date you are returning to work, we can often give you a ‘starting back’ note (also known as a ‘fit’ note or ‘return to work’ note) on request.

If you want to see your doctor solely to extend a sick note, please check with the receptionist whether an appointment is necessary.

Private Sick Notes

If you want a note to confirm sickness within the first 7 days of absence this will require a private note for which a fee is due.