There have been posts on social media with false information about opting out of sharing your data with the NHS.
Here’s what you need to know:
- There is no 30 September deadline for opting out of sharing your data. You can opt-out at any time.
- NHS Digital will never sell your data.
- There are strict rules about how NHS can use your data. It’s only shared securely and safely.
- Shared data help the NHS. It has been used to find the first treatment for coronavirus and for vaccine research.
Read NHS Digital’s response to the false information about the national data opt-out
Use this service to:
- choose if your confidential patient information is used for research and planning
- change or check your current choice
Any choice you make will not impact your individual care.
Before you start
- be aged 13 or older
- have access to your email or mobile phone
- have your NHS number or your postcode registered with your GP surgery
Other ways to make a choice
- yourself by phone, email or post
- someone else by email or post
NHS Digital Contact Centre phone number: 0300 303 5678 – Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (excluding bank holidays).
If you’re a parent or legal guardian and want to opt your children out, you must complete the opt-out form.
Once you’ve completed the form, you can email it to the Contact Centre – email@example.com
Alternatively, you can post the form to:
National Data Opt Out
7 and 8 Wellington Place
Find out more about other ways to make a choice
Page last reviewed: 10 July 2019
Next review due: 10 July 2022